Frequently Asked Questions


To review the answers to the questions below, simply click on the question that interests you. If you do not see the question you are looking for, please contact us for further information.
What is the Disability Tax Credit?

The Disability Tax Credit is a non-refundable tax credit established by the Canada Revenue Agency to determine eligibility for dedicated credits and benefits for those that experience disabilities and impairments.

Who is eligible for the Disability Tax Credit?

Individuals eligible for the DTC have disabilities or impairments in a physical or mental capacity that lasted or is expected to last for a continuous period of at least 12 months. A qualified practitioner certifies that the impairments are severe and prolonged. Qualified practitioners are Doctors, Optometrist, Audiologist, Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapist, Psychologist and Speech-Language Pathologists.

How long does it take to receive funds? And do I pay tax on it?

Once your claim has been filed with the CRA it may take up to a maximum of 6 months for the CRA to process the claim, however the average timeframe is 120 days or 4 months.

Will I still be eligible to apply for the Disability Tax Credit even if I do not have a taxable income because my disability prevented me from working?

Yes. The Disability Tax Credit can be transferred to a family member, caregivers or spouse.

Can I claim on behalf of my child?

Yes. Not only can parents of children with disabilities apply on behalf of their children, the Canadian government grants additional amounts for children under 18. In many situations we can claim these additional amounts even if the child is now over 18.

My child is under 18 and has a disability. Is he/she eligible for the Disability Tax Credit even if he/she does not have a taxable income?

Yes. The Disability Tax Credit can be transferred to supporting family members, caregivers or spouse so the child with the disability can claim the DTC.

Can I still apply for the Disability Tax Credit based on restrictions I have had in past years?

Yes. You can apply for credits/benefits and file retroactive claims for a maximum of 10 years.

How do I get the money?

Generally you will receive your money in 2-3 installments via cheque.

Are there any restrictions with what the money can be spent on?

No. The Government of Canada has implemented an instrumental benefit for Canadians with disabilities so they can enjoy a similar lifestyle to those living without disabilities. They recognize that a disability can be financially taxing so they grant these funds to help alleviate the additional expenses. However, what you do with the funds is up to you – you can pay off debt or take that long awaited vacation.

Will my information be confidential and secure?

The Canadian Benefits Centre (C.B.C.) treats your information with privacy, respect and competence. You can be confident your information will not be transferred to any third parties without your consent, and not be compromised or mistreated.

Why didn't my accountant tell me I qualify for so much money?

The C.B.C. has the experience and specializes in disability claims. Accountants simply do not specialize in disability claims - we do! Let us maximize your claim!

What about my doctor, how come he didn’t tell me I qualified?

Doctors are medical practitioners that focus on your health and well-being. Credits, benefits and grants are not their area of expertise.

Can I do this myself?

Like many well-intentioned government programs, the process can be extremely challenging and complex to navigate without knowledge and experience on the matter. Applying on your own can result in rejection of your claim for various mistakes and even if approved, the amounts received may be significantly less than what you're actually entitled to.

Will I have to pay taxes on the money I receive?

No. The money is non-taxable.

Will this affect my future in any way?

Yes. You will be placed in a position to plan for the future using investment vehicles provided by the Canadian Government, designed to assist those with disabilities take advantage of tax benefits and grants they deserve.

Will I still be able to get approved for OSAP or Student loans?

Yes. Any money you receive has no effect on your eligibility.

What if I owe student loans?

As long as your student loans are in good standing any funds you receive will have no impact on your loans.

Will this affect my eligibility for ODSP?

No. This has no effect on your eligibility for ODSP.

I am currently receiving payments from the WSIB. Will my WSIB payments be affected if I’m eligible for the Disability Tax Credit?

Generally no. The WSIB does not consider the Disability Tax Credit in its calculation of net earnings when determining the base amount for which compensation rates apply. Contact WSIB for more information (

If I don't earn sufficient income to receive the maximum amount available, am I out of luck?

Not at all. In most cases, we can claim the funds via an immediate family member such as parent, child, sibling, grandparent, aunt, uncle, father/mother in-law or brother/sister in-law. Contact us at 1 (877) 469-6797 for more information.

I make a pretty decent living. Am I eligible? Maybe I make too much money to apply?

All income levels are eligible for Canadians experiencing disabilities and impairments!

Can I apply for a family member?

Yes, and if the person with the disability does not have sufficient income to qualify for the full amounts then you can receive the credits directly. What you do with the money is entirely up to you.

If the person with the disability is deceased can a family member still apply for this money?

Yes. As long as the person has been deceased for less than ten years you can claim the DTC.

My doctor said I won't be approved, is he/she right?

Not necessarily. Your doctor may be an expert on diagnostics and medication but he/she is not a disability benefit specialist – we are. Remember, what a doctor may consider a disability can be entirely different from the CRA's rules and regulations.

My doctor of many years has retired and my new doctor doesn't really know me.

Not a problem, we can communicate with your doctor on your behalf to ensure he/she understands the process and criteria for eligibility.

What if I don't have any assessments regarding my condition?

Assessments are useful but not mandatory. Call 1 (877) 469-6797 today to speak with one of our qualified Benefit Specialists.

What if I owe money to the CRA?

The CRA will first pay off your debts and then send you the balance.

Qualifying Disabilities
  •  Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
  •  Addiction (alcohol, drug, gambling, internet, prescription medications, sexual, substance abuse, etc.)
  •  Addison’s Disease
  •  Agoraphobia
  •  Alzheimer’s Disease
  •  Amputation
  •  Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)/Lou Gehrig’s Disease
  •  Angina
  •  Ankle Surgery
  •  Anorexia Nervosa
  •  Anxiety
Click here to view a full list
Contact us

Contact Us for more info

We will contact you within a few business days.

Contact Us
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram